Your Bucket List is a Pipe Dream
What would you do if you were told you’re going to die in one year?
I bet you wouldn’t wait until the 10th month of your death sentence to start crossing items off your bucket list. The idea of a “bucket list” implies that you’re giving yourself a lifetime to cross them off. By the time you feel the pressure of your bucket list, it might already be too late. How can you hold yourself to your goal if you’re dead by the time that you’ve failed to reach it?
By that logic a regular bucket list seems a little foolish, doesn’t it? It’s almost as if there is no true intention to pursue the goals, instead you’re making a list of things that would be cool to do – one day.
If you want to fulfill your lifetime goals, write down 5 things you want to do before you die and 5 relatable things you are going to do this year to get closer to achieving them.
I’ll use my lifetime goals as an example:
- Retire early through multiple passive income streams- I will invest my money in interest earning funds, rental properties and personal businesses.
- Write a book – I will write a non-fiction book about similar topics to those on this blog. I will need more time than I currently have to focus on writing a great book. I will need a lot of practice to make a book worth reading.
- Get married – I will try not to bug my girlfriend, too much.
- Travel all continents – I will save specifically for travel. Ideally, this goal is something I would like to do when I am able to live off of alternative income sources that allow me to work remotely.
- Backpack a 7 day trail on foot – I will need to improve my bush crafting skills and continue to work on my endurance. I should also try something more reasonable before attempting a week long backpacking trek.
Make 5 year-end goals that are relatable to the life-time goals:
- Continue with this blog and start a podcast.
- I’m going to write an e-book this year.
- Pay off extra debt and save more with any raises at work or supplemental income from a blog or podcast.
- Save money into the travel fund. Spend less on eating out.
- I will do a 2-3 day hike on an Algonquin trail.
Give your list to someone in your life who will hold you to it. When vocalizing a goal to someone else you are making yourself accountable to that person.
I talk about my goals to almost everyone. I am accountable to an unknown number of people who could at anytime say “Hey Connor, how is ______ going?”
Setting annual goals will allow you to feel constant fulfillment of things that you’ve identified as important to you. The feeling of completing a project through your own hard work will make you a stronger person. You will gain self confidence though trial and error and begin to trust yourself more, furthering your ability in business.
The truth is, every single person reading this will be dead one day. We are people, defined by the moments we create in between birth and death. The earth is estimated to be 4.5 billion years old. Man has only walked earth for 200,000 years. Your lifetime will fall between 70-90 years.
Gary Vaynerchuk often says you’ve already won the lottery as a human being who was born as a person and not an ant. Your parents we’re together at precisely the right time to create you. You should be motivated by that you can do absolutely anything considering the odds that you’ve already overcome.
Make a bucket list that you intend on completing and rest at nothing to complete it. Without personal fulfillment it won’t matter how much money you have if money was only 1 of your 5 lifetime goals. Too often people lose their dreams to a job, fear, finances and relationships. If something is really important to you find a way to make it possible.
Make your 70-90 years on earth something that you decided objectively. Don’t allow life to push you around. Aspire to achieve your full potential in the areas that matter to you because your life is short and the rest of the world moves fast.
Imagine dying with the feeling of an incomplete life even if you lived 90 years. Never let your goals become a pipe dream. Whatever is on your list right now, do anything you can at the moment to pursue it. You never know when you will kick the bucket.